Max number of rows in a table

From: ow <oneway_111(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Max number of rows in a table
Date: 2003-12-01 15:33:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> --- Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Actually you can only have 4 billion SQL commands per xid, because the
> CommandId datatype is also just 32 bits. I've never heard of anyone
> running into that limit, though.

Wouldn't the above put a limit on a number of records one could have in table?
One have to use pg_dump/pg_restore to be able to upgrade between pgSql releases
and/or to backup data. If one cannot backup data and/or upgrade between pg
releases, then 4B records is the effective limit on the number of records in
pgSql ... or am I missing something?

Thanks