Re: PL/SQL packages

From: Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PL/SQL packages
Date: 2003-11-28 13:57:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 02:35:11PM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Karel Zak writes:
>
> > in our TODO is the item: "Add PL/PgSQL packages".
>
> I think the interesting part are the package-global variables. The
> name hierarchy seems completely redundant with schemas.

Agree, but there is more advantage than package-global variables
only. The Oracle PACKAGE:

- package is interface definition only and the real functions are
defined in PACKAGE BODY, it allows you change internal logic, but
interface is still same.

- package-global cursors

- package-global variables

- ??

Maybe PACKAGE can be in PostgreSQL implemented as special a little
extended schema (like sequence are special table) and we needn't think
about something new.

Karel

--
Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>