Re: FAQ_MSWIN patch: clarify instructions

From: Daniel Convissor <danielc(at)analysisandsolutions(dot)com>
To: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FAQ_MSWIN patch: clarify instructions
Date: 2003-11-27 08:41:09
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Hi Folks:

On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 01:13:34AM -0500, Daniel Convissor wrote:

> +7. If you want other users to be able to run PostgreSQL, it is
> + necessary to ease the permissions on some files. Adjust the
> + permissions and paths to suit your requirements.
> +
> + chmod 755 /usr/bin/pg_* /usr/bin/postgr*
> + chmod 666 /usr/local/pgsql/data/global/pg_pwd
> + chmod 666 /usr/local/pgsql/data/global/pg_fsm.cache

Strike those last two lines. I just did a fresh initdb and there's a lot
more to it than just them.

I did something last time that made it readable by my user account*, but
didn't think to document it. I'll need to experiment and get back to
y'all on this... Or, perhaps someone here already knows the routine and
can post it.

* In Windows I have separate administrator and user accounts. So, I
installed Cygwin and did initdb under the admin account, but want to be
able to access things under my user account. By the way, I'm just using
pg to do some testing, so I'm not really worried about security on pg at
this point.

Thanks,

--Dan

--
FREE scripts that make web and database programming easier
http://www.analysisandsolutions.com/software/