Re: [HACKERS] More detail on settings for pgavd?

From: Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
To: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] More detail on settings for pgavd?
Date: 2003-11-20 14:59:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

On Thursday 20 November 2003 20:00, Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:
> Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> > I will submit a patch that would account deletes in analyze threshold.
> > Since you want to delay the analyze, I would calculate analyze count as
>
> deletes are already accounted for in the analyze threshold.

Yes. My bad. Deletes are not accounted in initializing analyze count but later
they are used.

> > I am still wary of inverting vacuum analyze frequency. You think it is
> > better to set inverted default rather than documenting it?
>
> I think inverting the vacuum and analyze frequency is wrong.

Me. Too. ATM all I can think of this patch attached. Josh, is it sufficient
for you?..:-)

Matthew, I am confyused about one thing. Why would autovacuum count updates
while checking for analyze threshold? Analyze does not change statistics
right? ( w.r.t line 1072, pg_autovacuum.c). For updating statistics, only
inserts+deletes should suffice, isn't it?

Other than that, I think autovacuum does everything it can.

Comments?

Shridhar

Attachment Content-Type Size
difffile text/x-diff 1.9 KB