Re: [pgsql-www] Release cycle length

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-www] Release cycle length
Date: 2003-11-18 18:17:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 09:42:31AM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:

> (Oddly enough, my problem in doing more testing myself is external to
> PostgreSQL; most of our apps are PHP apps and you can't compile PHP against
> two different versions of PostgreSQL on the same server. Maybe with User
> Mode Linux I'll be able to do more testing now.)

I'm not sure UML would help you here. I think you'd be better trying to
run Apache in a chrooted environment, PHP and PostgreSQL included. You
don't need another kernel, but another set of libraries.

BTW, I think UMLSIM (umlsim.sf.net) could help to play the
"unplug-the-server" game. In theory you could rewrite the block
subsystem to "fail", simulating a real disk failure and possible a
system shutdown. I don't have time to do it myself right now however ...

"Find a bug in a program, and fix it, and the program will work today.
Show the program how to find and fix a bug, and the program
will work forever" (Oliver Silfridge)