Re: cvs head? initdb?

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: cvs head? initdb?
Date: 2003-11-14 23:07:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Friday 14 November 2003 12:03, Jan Wieck wrote:
> Robert Treat wrote:
> > On Fri, 2003-11-14 at 10:32, Jan Wieck wrote:
> >>
> >> Or did you mean ARC itself? Since it replaced the old LRU code, it is
> >> the only choice you have now. Which sort of raises the question if we
> >> would want to have multiple choices, like a config option
> >>
> >> buffer_replacement_strategy = lru|lru2|arc
> >
> > people would always want to have those choices (especially for doing
> > development/testing/benchmarking between the different methods) the
> > question is is it worth the effort to give people those options?
>
> And in the case of the cache strategy, the point is that different
> access patterns might be served better by different strategies. Then
> again, who will really test this and try to tune ALL of them to find the
> best choice, and is this possible at all given that all databases under
> one postmaster share the same buffer pool?

I could see people like the OSDB folks or some of the folks on -performance at
least doing some testing against the different backends. Probably not
extensive but I bet enough to see if there is a clear winner for some types
of work. You might not be able to test them in parallel, but certainly you
could serially.

Robert Treat