Re: Temporary tables and miscellaneous schemas

From: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, btober(at)seaworthysys(dot)com, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Temporary tables and miscellaneous schemas
Date: 2003-10-27 20:48:30
Lists: pgsql-general

> >> This will certainly not work, since you don't own your pg_temp_*
> >> schema (the bootstrap UID does). I disagree with the goal anyway
>
> > OK, others liked the goal of showing only your local schema ---
> > what is your proposal?
>
> My proposal is to do nothing ;-).
>
> If you want to suppress *all* pg_temp_ schemas from the \dn listing,
> that would be defensible maybe. I'd be inclined to say that
> pg_toast should be hidden as well if that approach is taken, because
> then you are basically saying that \dn is not the truth but only the
> stuff we think you should be interested in. (This is why I don't
> agree with it.)

Um, I forget whether or not this was given any credence or anyone
weighed in on it, but what about having two modes for psql? An admin
mode which hides nothing and is the default for superuser connections,
and a user mode which is the default for non-DBA connections. Then we
could pretty easily rationalize hiding various schemas as they may or
may not be relevant. In the case where a normal user would want their
\command to show admin tables, schemas, etc., they could \set
ADMIN_MODE or toggle it on/off with a \command like \P.

I've got the psql foo to pull this off pretty easily, but don't
recall a thumbsup/down on the idea. -sc

--
Sean Chittenden