Re: 7.4 compatibility question

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 7.4 compatibility question
Date: 2003-10-27 02:39:44
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> >Bug tracking systems have the same limitation as incremental release
> >notes --- youi have to do a lot of piecemeal work to get complete output
> >at the end, rather than doing it more efficiently in one batch.
> >
> >Most people working on PostgreSQL are volunteers, and one of my primary
> >jobs is to make it easy for them --- if it takes me a week to get the
> >release notes together --- so be it --- I am making it easier for
> >others.
> >

> You do a fine job and I know it is appreciated. I'd hate to think what
> would happen if you got run over by a bus.
>
> It's a bit of a matter of taste - I think bug tracking systems give
> projects better support than mailing lists, but maybe that's just me.

I think our goal is to get every known problem on the TODO list so
people can scan it quickly. It is also easier to have it all
centralized and distilled. However, it is hard to get more detail on
the bug, so we have TODO.detail.

Bug tracking systems are an extra level of abstraction for projects in
that it categorizes discussion. However, that abstraction level also
slows things down --- hard to say if it is a win or not.

Ideally, I would like to do all the unpleasant work and making improving
PostgreSQL easy for others.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us