Re: Clustering for performance and fail over

From: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Stan Leung <stanlee7640(at)yahoo(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Clustering for performance and fail over
Date: 2003-10-24 07:06:16
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 10:30:24AM -0400, Stan Leung wrote:
> I am interested in know if anyone has set up clustering for performance and fail over using PostgreSQL. We are currently using Oracle for a distribution application and would like to use PostgreSQL with multiple application and database servers.

Yes, we've done failover stuff using a shared storage, heartbeat, etc.
several times. For performance I prefer to divide the data to different
failover clustered database systems because concurrent writing creates
some huge technical overhead in many cases.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
Email: Michael at Fam-Meskes dot De