Re: Tuning for mid-size server

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>, Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
Cc: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Tuning for mid-size server
Date: 2003-10-21 21:32:16
Lists: pgsql-performance

Scott,

> I think where it makes sense is when you have something like a report
> server where the result sets may be huge, but the parellel load is load,
> i.e. 5 or 10 users tossing around 100 Meg or more at time.

I've found that that question makes the difference between using 6% & 12% ...
particularly large data transformations ... but not higher than that. And
I've had ample opportunity to test on 2 reporting servers. For one thing,
with very large reports one tends to have a lot of I/O binding, which is
handled by the kernel.

--
-Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions