Re: Performance weirdness with/without vacuum analyze

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Harry Broomhall" <harry(dot)broomhall(at)uk(dot)easynet(dot)net>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance weirdness with/without vacuum analyze
Date: 2003-10-20 17:28:00
Lists: pgsql-performance

Harry,

> It has been suggested to me that I resubmit this question to this list,
> rather than the GENERAL list it was originaly sent to.
>
> I asked earlier about ways of doing an UPDATE involving a left outer
> join and got some very useful feedback.

The query you posted will always be somewhat slow due to the forced join
order, which is unavodable with a left outer join.

However, regarding your peculiar behaviour, please post:

1) Your random_page_cost and effective_cache_size settings
2) The EXPLAIN ANALYZE of each query instead of just the EXPLAIN

Thanks!

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions