Re: convert string function and built-in conversions

From: "culley harrelson" <culley(at)fastmail(dot)fm>
To: "Stephan Szabo" <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
Cc: "pg-general" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: convert string function and built-in conversions
Date: 2003-10-19 19:06:27
Lists: pgsql-general

It is one of the extended characters in iso-8859-1. This data was taken
from a text field in a SQL_ASCII database. Basically what I am trying to
do is migrate data from a SQL_ASCII database to a UNICODE database by
running all the data through an external script that does something like:

select convert(my_field using ascii_to_utf_8) from my_table;

then inserts the selected text into an identical table in the unicode
database. All the data goes across, but extended characters such as ñ
are getting munged. The docs indicate that ascii_to_utf_8 is for
SQL_ASCII -> UNICODE... Are you saying that ñ isn't really an ASCII
character even though it is valid in a SQL_ASCII database? I have found
that all extended characters of the various LATIN encodings will work
just fine in my SQL_ASCII database.

This project is a big can of worms... Every 6 months I open the can,
stir the worms around a bit, wrinkle my nose then promptly close the can
again and stuff it away for another 6 months. :) Wish I could figure it
out.