index changing by unbalanced tree

From: "monu_indian" <monu_indian(at)indiatimes(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: index changing by unbalanced tree
Date: 2003-10-08 16:05:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

gist supports only balanced trees but I have to implement index as suffix tree which is highly unbalanced.How can I do this?

"monu_indian" <monu_indian(at)indiatimes(dot)com> writes:
> I have designed a new indexing tecknique for biological database now I want to implement it in pgsql so what the work I will have to do? From where I should start?

You could write a new index access method ... though I would not exactly
recommend that as a good project for a first-time Postgres hacker.

It might be that you could implement what you want to do as a layer on
top of the GIST index type. See the GIST-related contrib modules for
some examples.

regards, tom lane
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from Indiatimes at http://email.indiatimes.com

Buy The Best In BOOKS at http://www.bestsellers.indiatimes.com