Re: bsd indent

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Postgresql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: bsd indent
Date: 2003-10-07 17:28:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> >GNU indent does a reasonable job, but it did some strange spacing for
> >function definitions, if I remember correctly. Can you test by running
> >pgindent and gnuindent through the /executor files and do a diff to see
> >the differences in formatting?
> >

> after I added -ncdb to the GNU indent options in pgindent, the main
> effect appears to be that it joins function calls across lines,
> sometimes in weird ways. I guess that's bad enough for us not to use it
> unless someone knows a way to turn that off.
>
> Example (second case is bsd indented):
>
> ***************
> *** 217,223 ****
> execTuplesHashPrepare(TupleDesc tupdesc,
> int numCols,
> AttrNumber *matchColIdx,
> ! FmgrInfo **eqfunctions, FmgrInfo **hashfunctions)
> {
> int i;
>
> --- 234,241 ----
> execTuplesHashPrepare(TupleDesc tupdesc,
> int numCols,
> AttrNumber *matchColIdx,
> ! FmgrInfo **eqfunctions,
> ! FmgrInfo **hashfunctions)
> {
> int i;

Yes, this is exactly what I remember, and I can think of no way to
"script" that fix.

Let me know when you can download. I sure it will hit the mirrors
shortly.

The fact that we have a way to auto-indent 450k lines of C code with
few/no complaints is amazing in itself.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us