Re: Postgres low end processing.

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Stef <svb(at)ucs(dot)co(dot)za>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres low end processing.
Date: 2003-10-06 18:21:20
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-performance

Stef,

> => 1. Make sure that the WAL files (pg_xlog) are on a seperate disk from the
> => database files, either through mounting or symlinking.
>
> I'm not sure I understand how this helps?

It gives you better fsync write performance on a low-end disk setup.
Otherwise, the disk is forced to do a hop-back-and-forth between the database
and the xlog, resulting in much slower updates and thus the database tying up
blocks of RAM longer -- particularly if your shared_buffers are set very low,
which they will be.

On RAID setups, this is unnecessary becuase the RAID takes care of disk access
management. But on a low-end, 2-IDE-disk machine, you have to do it.

--
-Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions