Re: Migrating Access to Postgres

From: Fabrizio Mazzoni <veramente(at)libero(dot)it>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Migrating Access to Postgres
Date: 2003-10-01 17:10:59
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello .. i did the migration and my advice is that you forget about the automatic translation tools...

I took the access database and recreated all af the tables and relationships between them manually in postgres. I also added all the necessary indexes at design time ..
Basiclly you have to open each table in access in desgn mode and recreate it in postgres (maybe first write it in a text file) with sql commands ...eg:

create table foo (a serial primary key, b varchar) ......

After that you have to migrate the queries and recreate them as views in PG...

Then i dumped all the access tables to csv files and reimported them in pg with the copy command. Another solution to export the data from access to PG would be to link all the pg tables in access and execute an insert query from access.... This is a faster solution but sometimes access can run out of memory or you can get differences and errors in the datatypes which are very annoying...

I kept access only as a frontend and beleive me this solution gave us a huge boost in production in our company ...

Best Rgeards,

Fabrizio Mazzoni