Re: 7.4 status

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 7.4 status
Date: 2003-09-29 23:16:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com> writes:
> > SSL
> > ! Major improvements in SSL performance and security
>
> Did we actually add any "security" to the SSL code? Performance and
> reliability, maybe, but I didn't think we'd done anything to the
> security algorithms per se. Did I miss something?

I changed the wording to reliability. We did so some security by
changing the rate of key negotiation, but it isn't substantial.

> > Index Growth Prevention
> > Allow free space map to efficiently reused empty index pages,
> > ! and other free space management improvements.
>
> "reused" -> "reuse"

Done.

> > ! ANSI joins are now fully optimized
>
> "better" optimized maybe; I wouldn't say we're done with that issue yet.
> (In particular, I want to look into reordering outer joins sometime.)

Yep.

> > ! Faster regular expression code
>
> We could tout more functionality too, since the new regex package
> has a lot of advanced stuff that wasn't there before.

Added "more powerful"

> > * The server-side autocommit setting was removed an reimplemented
> > in client applications and languages.
>
> "an" -> "and"

Done.

> > ! * Error message wording has changed dramatically in this release,
> > and error codes have been added.
>
> "Substantially" might be a better term anyway?

Yep.

> > * ANSI joins may behave differently because they are now fully optimized
>
> See above

Changed to "better optimized"

> > * Date values now must match the ordering specified by DateStyle
>
> ... except that YYYY-MM-DD (with 3 or more digits for year) is always
> accepted.

Changed to:

* Ambiguous date values now must match the ordering specified by DateStyle

Committed to CVS.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us