Re: installation of pgAdmin3 on SuSE8.2

From: "Mark A(dot) Taff" <marktaff(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: b-vol <bvol(at)b-vol(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: installation of pgAdmin3 on SuSE8.2
Date: 2003-09-30 04:20:39
Lists: pgadmin-support

I had the same problems. Assuming a default SuSE 8.2:

Use YaST to install glib2-devel, pango-devel, atk-devel packages. I also
reccommend installing a _full_ gnome system, as it will save you headaches
later. :) Also install the 100dpi fonts.

Then build as per the instructions on the pgadmin website. If you still have
problems compiling, run: `pkg-config --modversion --debug`. This will check
a long line of dependencies, and report any dependencies not found, i.e.
package "foo" not found. Then use YaST to install package "foo". Continue
in this fashion until all packages are found, then try to recompile from
scratch.

After compiling, add the following lines to /etc/X11/gtk2rc-keramik (as root):

style "defaultfont"
{
font_name = "Arial 8"
}
widget_class "*" style "defaultfont"

This controls the font face and size used by pgadmin (and other GTK apps).
Note you will need to close and restart pgadmin3 for the changes in font to
take effect.

Edit /etc/X11/XF86Config so that the line with 100dpi fonts comes before the
line for 75 dpi fonts. This way X will find the 100 dpi fonts first, and use
them.

Also log into gnome, and change the font dpi to 120 in the font properties
(something like starthere-->desktop properties-->fontproperties-->details)
dialog. This will help minimize font display differrences between KDE and
Gnome.

This worked for me, YMMV.

Also note that the configure command is case sensitive, and spaces are
important. It should be:
./configure --with-gtk --enable-gtk2 --enable-unicode --disable-shared
--enable-debug

Regards,
Mark