more i18n/l10n issues

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: more i18n/l10n issues
Date: 2003-09-28 19:36:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Some more comments:

#: utils/misc/guc.c:647
msgid "collect statistics about executing commands"

Is this really "statistics" about the executing commands?

#: utils/misc/guc.c:892
msgid ""
"The number must be a positive integer. If 0 is specified then effort * "
"log2(poolsize) is used"

Is it missing the final dot?

#: commands/tablecmds.c:2029
msgid "column \"%s\" is in a primary key"

So, is it in A primary key, or THE primary key?

#: commands/tablecmds.c:4093
msgid "relation \"%s\" already has a TOAST table"

This is the one place where I found it could be table instead of
relation, because it's checked explicitly in the code. I haven't looked
very hard though, there may be others, but I've seen the last message
cleanups have changed some of them.

Now for something completely different:

The postmaster executable shows --help display perfectly localized.
However I just noted that postgres --help output (the standalone
backend) does not; is it not i18n'ed, or is some sort of missetup?

However, if I try postgres --help-config the localized display is shown,
but postmaster --help-config says

$ LC_MESSAGES=C /tmp/pgsql-es/bin/postmaster --help-config
FATAL: --help-config requires a value

So, for some things postmaster is localized, but others are not
supported; and for some things postgres is localized, but for others
it's not. Is this some sort of planned behavior, inconsistency, or
plain oversight?

Thanks,

"Endurecerse, pero jamás perder la ternura" (E. Guevara)