Re: [ADMIN] postgres 6.2 vacuum

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Hornyak Laszlo <kocka(at)tigrasoft(dot)hu>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] postgres 6.2 vacuum
Date: 2003-09-25 19:57:27
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers

On Thursday 25 September 2003 07:36, Hornyak Laszlo wrote:
> I think it is not that simple. How should I explain the company leaders
> why I must stop the system. It may risk their bussiness success too. I can
> tell them that the new db is more stable, but until the old one does the
> job, it is still acceptable for them (it served the system for 5-6 years
> or so).

Here, I agree with you Hornyak - you've got 5+ years real-world experience
with this version and it does what you want (mostly). I'm half tempted to
downgrade myself ;-)

By the way - are you saying the your system has been running *without
interruption* for 5 years?

Having said that, when (and it's when, not if) you upgrade, you'll be looking
at some major changes in PG, so it's probably a good idea to test 7.3.4 and
see what changes are necessary now, before you need to. Short-term, could you
stop the system long enough to pg_dump it and restore? Again, test the
process first.

> Once it crashes, it is a good reason to do the move.

And just *before* it crashes is the best time.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd