Re: More Prelimiary DBT-2 Test Results with PostgreSQL

From: markw(at)osdl(dot)org
To: gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: More Prelimiary DBT-2 Test Results with PostgreSQL
Date: 2003-09-24 21:31:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 22 Sep, Greg Stark wrote:

> markw(at)osdl(dot)org writes:
>
>> http://developer.osdl.org/markw/74/
>
> Are those response times in the right unit? 7-10s?

Yeah, the database really isn't tuned at all. I've gotten some
suggestions off the list that I will be trying. I'll report them as I
complete them.

> Are these mostly full table scans and big batch updates?

The plans (http://developer.osdl.org/markw/74/db/plan0.out) don't show
any table scans. They appears to be mostly index scans. There aren't
any batch updates.

> Personally, I'm more interested in seeing OLTP-oriented benchmarks testing
> quick index based transactions in the 20-200ms range, not big i/o-bound batch
> transactions. There's certainly a need for both, but I think the former are
> much more important to micro-optimize, at least for my needs.

Right, and when this thing is tuned better, I expect the transactions to
be down in the 20-200ms range. I do have about 70 drives for the
database, so it really shouldn't be i/o bound at with the size of the
database I'm using now, which is about 20 or 30 GB.

Mark