Re: Useful SQL-statement?

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: -anssi <anssiman(at)jippii(dot)fi>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Useful SQL-statement?
Date: 2003-09-24 17:24:56
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 02:34:26 -0700,
-anssi <anssiman(at)jippii(dot)fi> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Is there any standard SQL-statement, which produce
> resultset containing best plyers of the each team?
>
> player |team|points
> -------------------
> paul col 10
> peter col 12
> steve det 12
> sergei det 8
> jere dal 4
>
> Resultset:
>
> peter
> steve
> jere

select player
from tablename a,
(select team, max(points) as best from tablename group by team) b
where a.points = b.best and a.team = b.team;

This will list all of the players who have scored the maximum number of
points for a team.

(Note I didn't actually test this, so there may be minor errors in the
example.)