Re: The two steps to being under the Sun...

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>,Postgresql Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: The two steps to being under the Sun...
Date: 2003-09-17 16:24:04
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Rod,

> Show Sun that a high quality database exists for storing their complex
> relational data with similar restrictions and benefits to the above. You
> don't even need to ask about IP issues.

Unfortunately, I've been down this road.

Sun does not want to deal with any "real" open source projects.  MySQL AB,
which is a commercial company dabbling in open source, suits Sun's corprorate
"personality" a lot better than we ever would.  We won the technical
evaluation and lost the corporate politics.

Sun has contributed a *lot* to open source, and their techies in Europe are
very dedicated to OSS ideals -- for example, the PostgreSQL SDBC driver for
OOo is being developed by a volunteer & a Sunnie in their "spare" time, to
match the MySQL driver which was donated by another company.   So I don't
want to give Sun a bad rap.   But it's important to remember how driven Sun
HQ is by their corporate culture, which is a lot more similar to Redmond than
it is to us.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions