Re: State of Beta 2

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>
Cc: Vivek Khera <khera(at)kcilink(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: State of Beta 2
Date: 2003-09-11 20:05:07
Lists: pgsql-general

> I haven't had a chance to sit down and do any exhaustive testing yet and
> don't think I will for a while. That said, once 7.4 goes gold, I'm
> going to provide databases/postgresql-devel with a tunable that will
> allow people to choose what block size they would like (4k, 8K, 16K,
> 32K, or 64K) when they build the port.

If you do this, you *have* to put in a very very big warning that
databases created with non-PostgreSQL-standard block sizes may not be
transferrable to a standard-PostgreSQL install ... that is Tom's major
problem, is cross-platform/system dump/restores may no work is the
database schema was designed with a 16k block size in mind ...