Re: Nasty problem in hash indexes

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Nasty problem in hash indexes
Date: 2003-08-29 02:02:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 05:37:39PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > If so, then how many other bugs are lurking in the hash index code
> > waiting to bite?
>
> <shrug> Who's to say? We've found bugs in the btree logic recently,
> too.

I'd rather print a loud warning when a hash index is created, but keep
the code in the tree, than just remove it entirely. That way, we'll
avoid unnecessary bit-rot to some degree, and if someone feels that
they absolutely positively need hash indexes, they will have some
existing work to begin from.

-Neil