Re: Fwd: installing postgres7.3.4 problem II

From: Darko Prenosil <darko(dot)prenosil(at)finteh(dot)hr>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fwd: installing postgres7.3.4 problem II
Date: 2003-08-26 18:42:27
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tuesday 26 August 2003 19:59, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 18:40:12 +0200,
>
> javier garcia - CEBAS <rn001(at)cebas(dot)csic(dot)es> wrote:
> > Please, disregard my last message. I've discovered that in "password"
> > file it was mentioned a path '/var/lib/psql' where Mandrake distro
> > installed postres previously. I've solved it.
> >
> > But I still have another problem:
> >
> > A later step in Postgres installation instructions says:
> > "/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data >logfile 2>&1
> > &" and with this I obtain:
> > "bash: logfile: Dennied permission"
> >
> > I don't know bash either, so I can't understand the problem.
>
> You don't have access to create or write 'logfile' in the current
> directory. You might want to use a full path to wherever you want the
> logfille to be.

If You downloaded PostgreSQL sources, there are startup scripts in contrib
dir. If You do not have the sources, You can download it from :

http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql-server/contrib/start-scripts/

Usage is simple: get the script, put it in the /etc/init.d/ and name it
'postgres'. (I assume You are using Linux).
To start the server simply type: /etc/init.d/postgres start.
You can use one of the five switches: start, stop, restart , reload and
status.

Regards !