Re: error in docs

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: andrea gelmini <andrea(dot)gelmini(at)linux(dot)it>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: error in docs
Date: 2003-08-17 02:10:23
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003, andrea gelmini wrote:

> test=# SELECT * FROM sal_emp WHERE pay_by_quarter[1:4] *= 10000;
> ERROR: Unable to identify an operator '*=' for types 'integer[]' and 'integer'
> You will have to retype this query using an explicit cast

I see from those docs:

However, this quickly becomes tedious for large arrays, and is not helpful
if the size of the array is unknown. Although it is not part of the
primary PostgreSQL distribution, there is an extension available that
defines new functions and operators for iterating over array values.
Using this, the above query could be:

SELECT * FROM sal_emp WHERE pay_by_quarter[1:4] *= 10000;

---
This is talking about an extension that's not part of the primary
distribution as described in the paragraph before the example.
I believe it's refering to contrib/array.