Re: optimizing selects on time-series data in Pg

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: SF Postgres <sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: optimizing selects on time-series data in Pg
Date: 2003-08-12 19:27:40
Lists: sfpug

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 12:15:50PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Sean, Aditya,

> > > Add backtick support for postgresql.conf:
> > > I want to be able to do stuff like:

> > I remember reading a post that suggested using a (perl) script to
> > generate the postgresql.conf based on on the output of uname --
> > since we already use a sh script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d, it would
> > be trivial to incorporate it...

> I'd still rather have an interactive script, which would allow for
> setting of many variables which cannot be easily set according to
> system info (sort_mem, for example).

If we're trying to discourage adoption, one highly effective way to do
that is to throw big stumbling blocks in beginners' way--making them
answer a bunch of mysterious questions just to get the thing running,
e.g.

So, if my vote counts, I'd say make a "standard" one that generates a
fairly reasonable postgresql.conf & an "expert" one that's more
interactive. :)

Cheers,
$.02 D
--
David Fetter david(at)fetter(dot)org http://fetter.org/
phone: +1 510 893 6100 cell: +1 415 235 3778