Re: CVSROOT/modules: earthdistance...

From: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CVSROOT/modules: earthdistance...
Date: 2003-08-07 07:05:04
Lists: pgsql-patches

> > > Since we are in beta, it should be relatively safe to do ... if
> > > I were to scheduale 'shutting down and re-merging' the various
> > > modules back into one big one again for 11pm tonight, would
> > > everyone be okay with that? It would mean that all checkin's
> > > have to be done before then, and you will have to re-checkout
> > > CVS once finished, as your existing CVS will not be valid
> > > anymore ...
> >
> > I'm not sure it's worth that. Can't you simply add that directory
> > back into the pgsql-server module, leave pgsql as a module that
> > contains only pgsql-server, and thus not break anyone's checkout?
>
> I can stick with the pgsql-server module, but it will still break
> things for you, AFAIK ... CVS saves 'path information' in CVS, no?
> So the modules stuff would be 'broken' until you did a new check out
>
> I'm not 100% certain of this, so if anyone knows CVS better, please
> feel free to correct .. :?)

<cvs_meister_hat>
The best course of action would be to do:

cd $CVSROOT
mv earthdistance pgsql-server/contrib
ln -s pgsql-server/contrib/earthdistance .
cd ~/open_source/postgresql/CVSROOT
patch -p0 < ~/earthdistance.patch # edits modules
cvs ci modules
[Send a HEADSUP to -hackers]

[Add a TODO entry for pgsql admins to remove the symlink after pgsql
hits 8.0 or some sufficiently long, but not overly long period of
time]

cvs up's, cvs co's with old scripts, and new cvs exports/co's will
work as expected.
</cvs_meister_hat>

-sc

PS After 7.4, could someone go through the motions to change $Id$ to
$PostgreSQL$?

--
Sean Chittenden