Re: Mysql -> Postgresql pitfalls

From: "Chad N(dot) Tindel" <chad(at)tindel(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Mysql -> Postgresql pitfalls
Date: 2003-08-02 17:04:10
Lists: pgsql-docs

> > <RANT>As a programmer, I personally would never write code that kept
> > people from running things as root. I mean, what is the point?
>
> If someone roots your box, it's not our fault. Simple as that.

I didn't say "require them to run as a non-root user". I said "Give them
the choice to decide what is correct for their environment". In the case
of apache, there are many internal webservers that are not exposed to the
threat of the public internet; for such servers, it may be appropriate to run
apache as root because it simplifies the administration and automation of
tasks. But to do so, one has to know how to re-compile apache, which will
exclude a lot of your basic garden variety administrators. Its very
un-friendly programming.

Chad