Re: Mysql -> Postgresql pitfalls

From: Roberto Mello <rmello(at)cc(dot)usu(dot)edu>
To: "Chad N(dot) Tindel" <chad(at)tindel(dot)net>
Cc: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Mysql -> Postgresql pitfalls
Date: 2003-08-02 06:33:46
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 04:51:11PM -0400, Chad N. Tindel wrote:

> <RANT>As a programmer, I personally would never write code that kept people from
> running things as root. I mean, what is the point? If an administrator

Hmmm?

The point is something called security.

> wants to run postgresql or apache as root, why shouldn't they be allowed
> to make that conscious decision for themselves? As it is, you have to recompile

Because administrators have too much to worry about. If an application
makes a conscious decision to allow itself to run in a knowingly insecure
manner, that application is doing the admin a disfavor, and should be
ditched.

> apache with some BIG_SECURITY_HOLE defined in order to run as root, which means
> you can't just use the out of the box apache rpm. Its so stupid to write
> *extra* code that keeps people from doing something that isn't even
> fundamentally incorrect.</RANT>

This has no logic. Security is fundamental. No security is fundamentally
incorrect.

-Roberto

--
+----| Roberto Mello - http://www.brasileiro.net/ |------+
+ Computer Science Graduate Student, Utah State University +