Re: [webmaster] Sorry to bother you

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Joshua Lewis <jlewis(at)monauto(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [webmaster] Sorry to bother you
Date: 2003-07-31 23:43:20
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Josh,

> What is postgresql. How is it different to MYSQL. I don't need a big long
> history or something. I am just curious why someone would use PSQL as
> apposed to MS SQL or MySQL

Here's the short answer:

PostgreSQL has more features than MS SQL, and many more features than MySQL.
PostgreSQL isn't controlled by any one company and carries no license fees.
PostgreSQL is available for over a dozen Unix or Unix-like plaforms.
PostgreSQL is more stable and reliable than MySQL or MS SQL.
PostgreSQL performs much better than MS SQL according to ample anecdotal
evidence.

If you want more than that, you'll have to take the "long answer".

--
-Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions