Re: concurrent writes

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: concurrent writes
Date: 2003-07-29 17:01:32
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 12:33:06PM +0200, Andreas Jung wrote:
> hi,
>
> we are running Postgres 7.3.3 successfully on our portal sites

There's a nasty bug in 7.3.3 which is fixed in 7.3.4.

> N processes need to write update/insert within the same time and within
> the same transaction data in one table. More detailed: every process
> opens its own connection, starts a transaction, updates *different* rows
> and then commits.

These two descriptions are not of the same thing. Different
processes cannot share the same transaction, unless they're using the
same connection.

> According to our postgres adminstrator, Postgres seems
> to behave differently on Linux and Solaris. Any ideas on that?

Differently how? Start up time for a connection is sure worse:
fork() on Solaris is slow as my dog with his foot in a bandage.

----
Andrew Sullivan 204-4141 Yonge Street
Liberty RMS Toronto, Ontario Canada
<andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info> M2P 2A8