comparing database schema's

From: John Harrold <jmh17(at)pitt(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: comparing database schema's
Date: 2003-07-22 18:46:59
Lists: pgsql-general

so i have two databases 'A' and 'B'. B is alot like A except i've
added alot of stuff to B like cascade on delete. Now 'A' is populated
with data and i want to add the triggers to it. I tried inserting the
contents of A into the schema of B, but it gave me alot of errors
because it was trying to insert values which have primary keys in
other tables before they had been inserted into the tables they are
referencing. so i decided that i would modify the columns of A
directly, and i was wondering if there was a way to compare the schema
of A to B once i had finished. just to make sure i hadnt missed
anything.

can anyone offer a way to compare db schema? or alternatively a better
way to do what i'm trying to do.

| /"\
john harrold | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
jmh at member.fsf.org | X against HTML mail
the most useful idiot | / \
What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless,
whether the mad destruction is brought under the name of totalitarianism or
the holy name of liberty and democracy?
--Gandhi
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E