Re: Strange result: UNIX vs. TCP/IP sockets

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Strange result: UNIX vs. TCP/IP sockets
Date: 2003-07-04 21:20:53
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 07:55:12PM +0200, Vincent van Leeuwen wrote:

> But since this only relates to making and breaking TCP connections,
> I don't think this is relevant for a larger query time. It's
> probably normal for a TCP connection to be slightly slower than a
> unix socket, but I don't think that's wat Andrew is experiencing.

No, it's not. And my colleague Sorin Iszlai pointed out to me
something else about it: we're getting different numbers reported by
EXPLAIN ANALYSE itself. How is that even possible?

If we try it here on a moderately-loaded Sun box, it seems we're able
to reproduce it, as well.

How could it be the transport affects the time for the query as
reported by the back end?

----
Andrew Sullivan 204-4141 Yonge Street
Liberty RMS Toronto, Ontario Canada