Re: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Brian Tarbox" <btarbox(at)theworld(dot)com>
Cc: "Postgresql Performance" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL
Date: 2003-07-04 17:12:36
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

Brian,

Howdy! I'm Josh Berkus, I'm also on the Core Team for PostgreSQL, and I
wanted to give some closure on your issue before you quit with a bad taste in
your mouth.

Your posting hit a sore point in the collective PostgreSQL community, so you
got a strong reaction from several people on the list -- probably out of
proportion to your posting.

Or, to put it another way, you posted something intended to offend people out
of your frustration, and got a very offended reaction back.

> Rather than trying to figure out whats going on in my head, how about
> figuring out whats going on in my database? :-)
> I am not allowed to share schemas...sorry but thats what the contract says.
> The queries represent code, thus intellectual property, thus I can't post
> them.

I think you recognize, now, that this list cannot help you under those
circumstances?

A significant portion of my income derives from clients who need tuning help
under NDA. If, however, you don't need any capabilites that PostgreSQL has
which MySQL doesn't, hiring a consultant would not be money well spent.

> I really wasn't looking for battle this fine day....I'm going outside to
> BBQ! (and if you conclude from that that I'm not interested in this or
> that, there's nothing I can do about that. It is a beautiful day out and
> bbq does sound more fun than this list. sorry)

No arguments there ... wish I didn't have to work :-(

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions