Re: Difficulties to do a migration from Oracle8i to PostgreSQL 7.3.3

From: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Bruno BAGUETTE <pgsql-ml(at)baguette(dot)net>
Cc: 'PostgreSQL-general' <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Difficulties to do a migration from Oracle8i to PostgreSQL 7.3.3
Date: 2003-06-29 09:52:24
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sun, Jun 29, 2003 at 11:40:41AM +0200, Bruno BAGUETTE wrote:
> stucked on inserting PL/SQL packages... (Because there isn't the
> possibility to do PL/PgSQL packages currently).

Sorry, I don't really understand this. PL/pgSQL is the PostgreSQL
version of PL/SQL.

> He explains me that they have several frontend that uses that DB via the
> PL/SQL packages (dos, Gtk, Windows VisualC++, WAP (mobile phones), and
> Jini Java applications and he don't have the time and the knowledge to
> modify all theses applications in a very short time. (He is only DBA,
> not developper).

You mean all these apps do is execute a PL/SQL procedure in Oracle? And
they cannot change the syntax in the apps? But they can implement the
logic in PostgreSQL as they do now in Oracle?

> Thus, he would like to make the PostgreSQL server to appears like an
> Oracle Server but I don't see anything about this in PostgreSQL
> documentation. As far as I know, PostgreSQL don't use the same
> architecture that Oracle (there isn't any Listener).

Now this is something different IMO. PostgreSQL postmaster does the
listening, but why do the apps need the very same appearance?

> So the trial to move from Oracle8i to PostgreSQL 7.3.3 will be probably
> delayed until the possibility to do that (PL/PGSQL packages), he will
> try to ask the developpers to add ODBC in their apps.

How do they connect now? Native Oracle OCI?

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
Email: Michael at Fam-Meskes dot De