Re: RServ patch to support multiple slaves (sorta)

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Michael A Nachbaur <mike(at)nachbaur(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RServ patch to support multiple slaves (sorta)
Date: 2003-06-26 01:28:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 08:33:04PM -0300, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Tom Lane wrote:

> > > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > >
> > > It sounded to me like that patch was intended for comment, not for
> > > application.
> >
> > He said it wasn't all he wanted to do with the code, but that it did
> > work. With so few rserv patches, it seems like something we should get
> > in, but maybe not? Other comments? I am not sure myself.
>
> Considering how many ppl have commented in the past how rserv was broken
> anyway ... ? I'd say it can't hurt anything ...

Are you saying that it doesn't matter that it is made more broken?
Sorry if I disagree... we should be trying to fix it, not the other way
around.

If it's so broken, why hasn't it received any improvement? Is there
some problem with the underlying design? I suppose the erServer code is
at least vaguely based on this, right?

"Nadie esta tan esclavizado como el que se cree libre no siendolo" (Goethe)