How do I select the last Id in a column???

From: Michael Kovalcik <makd32(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How do I select the last Id in a column???
Date: 2003-06-23 18:47:06
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello,

I'm trying to find out how I select the last id in a
column if I don't know anything else about the row.
What i am doing is inserting information into my
Orders table and the id is auto-incrementing. The
next thing i want to be able to do is grab the the id
of the order i just inserted. How do i do this?

Here is the code i have so far:

my $sql = "INSERT INTO ${Orders}
(locationid,shippingid,statusid,date) VALUES (?
,?,?,?)";

my $sth = $dbh->prepare($sql);

$sth->execute(${LocationID},${ShippingID},${StatusID},${date});
my $sth = $dbh->prepare("SELECT id FROM ${Orders}");

$sth->execute();
$OrderID = $sth->fetchrow_arrayref;

I know the select statement that i have will not work,
because it will bring me every id number in the table.
I just want the latest one.....

Please HELP............

Thank you so much,
Mike