Re: Name limitation question

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Laura Nichols" <LNichols(at)oacis(dot)com>, <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Name limitation question
Date: 2003-06-21 18:35:18
Lists: pgsql-novice

Laura,

> I have a quick question. Is there a limit to the length of a table name /
> column name / procedure name? For example, Sybase has a limit of 32
> characters for stored procedure names, or some such. Is there such a limit
> in PostgreSQL?

We had a limit of first 31, then 63 characters. Either in 7.3 or in 7.4
(beta) that was extended to 128 characters, which should be enough for
anybody. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what versions of Postgres each of these
limits is associated with, but I'm sure that someone else on this list will
speak up.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions