Re: Patch to be verbose about being unable to read ~/.pgpasss...

From: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch to be verbose about being unable to read ~/.pgpasss...
Date: 2003-06-20 23:31:12
Lists: pgsql-patches

> > Would you like me to add an interface that'd allow stderr to be
> > redirected in the case of defaultNoticeProcessor()?
>
> No, the application is supposed to set a notice processor if it
> doesn't want stuff going to stderr. I don't think that stuff needs
> to be redesigned.

Ehh... I'd say it's kinda broken as a logging interface in its current
encarnation. Whoever does the autoconf magic should test for
stdarg.h. Since we're on the verge of a minor version change, might
not be a bad time to adjust this. There should be no source code
incompatabilities introduced in this change, but things will have to
be recompiled as the function ABI has changed.

> > We can stat a file that is owned by root and not readable to the
> > user. In such a case, because the user isn't able to read the
> > file, all libpq applications will fail making it effectively
> > possible for the system admin to shut off all applications that
> > use libpq.
>
> Hardly, since the user can simply remove or rename the file. It's
> in his home directory, remember? (If he can't write his home
> directory then whether libpq works is the least of his troubles.)

*shrug* Whatever floats whoever's boat, I'm easy, just playing devils
advocate. Now that I think about it though, there's no graceful way
to get PasswordFromFile() to tell the application to abort and nor
should it. I think the warnings and bailing out of PasswordFromFile()
is sufficient. Comments on the revised patch? -sc

--
Sean Chittenden

Attachment Content-Type Size
patch text/plain 4.7 KB