Re: A creepy story about dates. How to prevent it?

From: Paul Thomas <paul(at)tmsl(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "pgsql-general (at) postgresql (dot) org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A creepy story about dates. How to prevent it?
Date: 2003-06-18 23:09:26
Lists: pgsql-general

On 18/06/2003 22:09 scott.marlowe wrote:
> [snip]
> Why bother checking for wrong dates sometimes (i.e. 03/33/2003) but not
> all the time (i.e. 13/03/2003)?

ISTR that DB2 used to do the same (maybe still does - haven't used it for
a few years). Still, IMHO, it is frustrating. I would rather have the db
be ultra-strict, forcing me to handle dates correctly and rigorously in my
app.

> [snip]
> I do plenty of format checking, this isn't the same. This is range
> checking. I expect my database to do that for me.

Agreed, although if the user gets his data thrown back at him by the db
then I feel that this is a bug in my program. YMMV.

regards

--
Paul Thomas
Business |