Re: Which database part 2

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>
Cc: Kaarel <kaarel(at)future(dot)ee>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Which database part 2
Date: 2003-06-13 21:22:21
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Sean,

> PostgreSQL, on the other hand, has been a rock. The _only_ time I've
> had a problem with PostgreSQL is when I had a few errant applications
> leaving transactions open causing queries to build up until it reaches
> its max connection limit. I can't emphasize the stableness of
> PostgreSQL compared to MySQL: the difference is non-trivial and the
> difference is much greater than 0.5% difference in uptime.

*sigh* One of my clients did extensive reliability testing for PostgreSQL.
The results were really, really encouraging ... but I can't report them due
to an airtight NDA.

> > How about a sum up:
> > PostgreSQL is the DBA's database.
> > MySQL is the web designer's database.
>
> I wouldn't be so kind as to describe MySQL that way. I'd sum it up as
> closer to MySQL users are willing to buy into the hype (MySQL spends a
> lot of effort in hyping/promoting their DB, PostgreSQL doesn't) and
> don't do their due diligence to investigate other DB's.

I've personally found MySQL to be idea for one type of client: the type that
doesn't have a DBA or skilled tech and doesn't intend to hire one. MySQL is
good for a certain amount of idiot-proofing in that regard. Of course, I
also recommend Filemaker for the same clients, so that's grounds for
comparison.

--
-Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions