Re: Proposal to Re-Order Postgresql.Conf, part II

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal to Re-Order Postgresql.Conf, part II
Date: 2003-06-10 17:28:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jan,

> No, not documenting it IS a good move.

I couldn't disagree more. Undocumented options? Who are we, Microsoft?

> If there's a button people will
> press it, if there's a switch people will turn it on and if there's a
> slot people will stick in whatever they have ... believe it or not, I
> have found a Xmas cookie in the floppy drive of a consultant's notebook
<snip>

These kinds of people don't read the documentation in the first place, so
we're in no danger from them.

I can definitely see an argument that the "developer" switches should be
documented on a different page of the docs from "Run-Time Configuration".
But the idea of having GUCs that aren't documented at all, anywhere, is a
very anti-Open Source idea.

--
-Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions