Re: Accessing 2 different databases in the same query ?

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Nagib Abi Fadel <nagib_postgres(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Accessing 2 different databases in the same query ?
Date: 2003-06-02 11:32:29
Lists: pgsql-general

On Monday 02 Jun 2003 9:39 am, Nagib Abi Fadel wrote:
> From what i read dblink let's us access another database in the same query
> ... Which is great. But does it slow down the query ??

Don't use it myself, but from discussion on the lists, I'd say "probably" -
don't see how it could be otherwise. You'll want to test.

> And what about making references between tables (creating foreign keys) is
> it possible ?????

Nope - just not practical. You could bring both servers to a grinding halt
very quickly trying to keep track of FKs over a network link.

Incidentally, if you don't need the two databases on different machines,
perhaps look at using schemas to separate users - that would let you have FKs
etc.

--
Richard Huxton