Re: PGSQL transla

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tebaldi Mirko <mirko(dot)tebaldi(at)libero(dot)it>, Traduzioni PostgreSQL <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PGSQL transla
Date: 2003-06-02 00:03:15
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 01:04:22AM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Tebaldi Mirko writes:
>
> > Can you verify if this file seems to be correct to use for translation?
>
> In principle yes, but fix the following errors:
>
> libpq-it.po:27: number of format specifications in `msgid' and `msgstr' does not match

This means to put the same number of "%x" sequences in msgid and msgstr.
Those sequences are expanded at run time with further information about
the message. For example, "file %s not found" might be expanded to
"file /etc/passwd not found". Be sure to include the exact same
sequence. Also keep the ordering of those sequences inside the message;
there are ways to specify a different ordering but I won't go into
detail right now.

I dunno if Tebaldi already knows this, but we can't just assume everyone
understand what a C format string is. This should be probably be noted
in the translation instructions if we want non-programmers to help with
translations.

"El que vive para el futuro es un iluso, y el que vive para el pasado,
un imbécil" (Luis Adler, "Los tripulantes de la noche")