Re: Slashdot: SAP and MySQL Join Forces

From: PeterKorman <calvin-pgsql-ml(at)eigenvision(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Slashdot: SAP and MySQL Join Forces
Date: 2003-05-31 19:19:03
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 11:39:56AM +0900, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:
> PeterKorman wrote:
> >
> > I like postgresql better, but an amazon search produces 52 titles
> > for mysql. Only 11 come back for postgresql. Some cause/effect
> > relation exists between available publications and public appeal.
> > That relation favors mysql by more than a furlong. Go figure.
>
> I definitely have to agree with this. There were tow reason I first
> chose MySQL over Postgres:
>
> 1- I was interested in setting up DB backed web site and everyone was
> talking about LAMP (Linux + Apache + *MySQL* + PHP) I never heard the
> mention of Postgres on any of the PHP mailing lists or web sites.
>
> 2- I didn't know anything about DBs (I've only slightly improved ;) and
> *knew* I would need a book or three. Amazon had load of MySQL books but
> not many Postgres ones, and the few Postgres books that *did* exist did
> not seem all that appealing.
>
> The reason I did finally switch over to Postgres was that after trying
> out MySQL I found out that it couldn't do what I wanted. I read up again
> on Postgres, found out that *it* could do what I wanted and have never
> regretted dumping MySQL (it only took me a few weeks to realize it
> wasn't what I wanted/needed).
>
> But the lack of books was sorely felt ... Thank goodness this mailing
> list exists and people are genuinely friendly and helpful.
>
> In conclusion, more books please, and instead of LAMP let get the word
> out about LAPP/LAPoP/LAPgP ;)

My copy of PostgreSQL by Douglas & Douglas (D&D) just arrived. It eases the
book derth with pretty high quality content.

http://www.samspublishing.com/catalog/product.asp?product_id={310F293A-6C05-45CB-A781-FF25FBB6914A}

D&D combined with the searchable:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/view.php?version=7.2&idoc=1&file=index.html

And the on-line Copy of John Worsley's Wooly Mammoth Book, Practical Postgress

http://www.commandprompt.com/ppbook/

These 3 make a pretty respectable reference trio.

It's possible that reading (and retaining) all of the reference manual
is all you would need for documentation, but I haven't read and retained
a whole reference manual since UCSD Pascal;-)

Cheers,

JPK