Re: PostgreSQL 7.3.2 running as NT service under Windows XP

From: Jason Tishler <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
To: Frank Seesink <frank(at)mail(dot)wvnet(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 7.3.2 running as NT service under Windows XP
Date: 2003-05-29 15:01:40
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Frank,

On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 06:26:59PM -0400, Frank Seesink wrote:
> Jason Tishler wrote:
> >I'm concerned that the Cygwin DLL is actually sending a SIGTERM to
> >the postmaster even though cygrunsrv is going to send a SIGINT too.
> >Does the postmaster log indicate a "smart shutdown" or "fast
> >shutdown" when the pid file is not deleted?
>
> I did the following:
>
> [snip]
>
> The following is the contents of /var/log/postmaster.log:
> [snip]
> LOG: smart shutdown request
> LOG: shutting down
> LOG: fast shutdown request
> [snip]
>
> From the above, it appears that PostgreSQL first receives a "smart
> shutdown request", followed by a "fast shutdown request". Are we
> getting closer? :-)

Yes! I can reproduce the problem under 2000 too. But, for some reason,
my database still shuts down cleanly.

Anyway, I tried to solve this in cygrunsrv but I was unsuccessful (which
is obvious in hindsight). I will work with the Cygwin developers to try
to solve this in the Cygwin DLL. I will report back when I have status.

> >I would call the above "quick and dirty". I wasn't clear but I
> >assumed the following:
> >
> > 1. It would only be invoked via net start which will prevent
> > multiple instances.
>
> Actually, I understand what you mean, but technically, no this is not
> true. If I do a 'net start postmaster' from the command line when a
> copy is already running, this script will delete postmaster.pid and
> fire up a 2nd copy.

I just tried my hack and it worked as advertised:

$ echo (</proc/registry/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/postmaster/Parameters/AppPath)
/usr/local/bin/postmaster.sh
$ cat /usr/local/bin/postmaster.sh
#!/bin/sh
rm -f /usr/share/postgresql/data/postmaster.pid
/usr/bin/postmaster $*

$ net start | fgrep postmaster
postmaster
$ net start postmaster
The requested service has already been started.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182.

Jason

Fingerprint: 7A73 1405 7F2B E669 C19D 8784 1AFD E4CC ECF4 8EF6