Error starting backend

From: "jason" <jason(at)theleehouse(dot)net>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Error starting backend
Date: 2003-05-26 17:41:42
Lists: pgsql-admin

I had a hard drive die on me. In rebuilding my system, I found out that my
backup process wasn't working correctly, so I don't have any dumps that I can
just load into the new setup. I was able, however, to save the data directory
from the old drive. If I try to start the backend up with that data dir,
though, I get this error:

PANIC: The database cluster was initialized with LC_COLLATE 'en_US.UTF-8',
which is not recognized by setlocale().
It looks like you need to initdb.

Any idea how I can get around that? Thanks a lot!

jason