Re: some troubles with accent by using java with postgres

From: Holger Klawitter <lists(at)klawitter(dot)de>
To: olivier(dot)guichaoua(at)i-carre(dot)net
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: some troubles with accent by using java with postgres
Date: 2003-05-26 06:27:13
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Am Mittwoch, 21. Mai 2003 14:22 schrieb olivier(dot)guichaoua(at)i-carre(dot)net:
> hello,
>
> I work on an java apllication with postgres jdbc ... I would like to
> configure my jbdc drivers to allow accent (é à ç..)
> by replacing US7_ASCII with the latin one ... how can i do this?

Java is not the issue - it internally uses UNICODE anyway. The JDBC interface
converts UNICODE strings to whatever the encoding of the database is (or
informs the backend accordingly (?).

A US_ASCII Database cannot store LATIN accents. You have to create the
database with an encoding capable of storing these characters. In your case
both LATIN1 and UTF-8 (the most common UNICODE dialect) will do.

createdb -E LATIN1 your_database_name

Mit freundlichem Gruß / With kind regards
Holger Klawitter
--
lists(at)klawitter(dot)de